|For nearly thirty years this
magnificent house, built with locally manufactured brick and fieldstone, was
the home of the Kremers and their children. Opening the double doors off the
entrance foyer revealed beautiful hardwood floors, rich oak trim, and a
gorgeous staircase leading to the second floor bedrooms. The house was built a
bit higher than neighboring houses to afford the Kremers a better
view of Centennial
|In the back you will find
another two-story building which was used to board the horses and store the
carriages and equipment. The first floor housed the stalls, the second a
storage place for hay, straw and oats. This building was called "The Carriage
House." There was ample room for the family and their animals on the corner of
12th and Central.
Dr Kremers was an excellent physician, and
in his years of practice gained the trust of many people. Both as a physician
and surgeon, Dr Kremers was well qualified to rank as a progressive member of
his profession. Even though he was a very busy practitioner he devoted much of
his time to the welfare of Holland and thus received many civic honors. In 1889
he was elected Mayor of the City of Holland.
Five years after his death, Mrs. Kremers sold their home to the City
of Holland. The City, after extensive renovation, turned the house into the
first Holland Hospital.
floor in the main house was the OB floor and nursery. When the weather
permitted, the babies were placed in the Sun Room, and when the temperature
dropped, the babies were moved into the kitchen to keep warm and comfortable.
Many Hollanders were born in this wonderful hospital.
|Surgery was performed on the
second floor of the main house. The patients stayed until they regained some of
their health and strength, after which they would return home to fully
recuperate. The first floor of the "Carriage House" in the back was used as the
clinic, and was aptly renamed the "Clinic Building", and the 2nd floor was the
home of some 12 nurses.
|When it became apparent that
a larger facility was required to care for the needs of the community, the city
started looking for property, and found it where Holland Community Hospital is
|Following the hospital's
relocation, the City of Holland rented the house to the Hope College
Knickerbocker Fraternity from 1929-1938.
|The city renovated the Main
House and in May 1940, it became the Netherlands Museum.
|The Museum was visited by
many dignitaries including the Royal Dutch Family. In 1993, The Netherlands
Museum moved into the old Post Office, and once again, the building stood
|In October 1995, the
property was bought by Rein and Kay Wolfert who restored and renovated these
gorgeous buildings back to their original glory. The result is a most wonderful
and elegant, yet homey Bed & Breakfast. This is trulv a place where guests
can enjoy a real home away from home.
|The Centennial Inn is
located one block from the downtown area, which displays Holland's true-Dutch
|Downtown you can enjoy a
variety of stores, from clothing to toys, to furniture, to household items.
There are also many art galleries where you can find anything from posters to
exhibitions of fine arts, oil paintings and prints. In the winter all of these
wonderful attractions are connected with the added amenity of Holland's unique
heated sidewalks. A variety of workshops are also offered for people of all
ages and interests.
|The Inn is located within
walking distance to area churches, restaurants, parks, theaters, The Holland
Museum, Hope College, Lake Macatawa and much, much more.